Friday, July 18, 2008

Riding high continued, with a carbon fiber twist

I'm sure that no amount of training - or steroids, for that matter - could enable me to run 400 meters in less than 50 seconds. I'm also sure that if I lost both of my legs below the knees, I wouldn't even try.

Which is why Oscar Pistorius' quest to compete in the Olympic 400 meter race is so mind-blowing, so impressive, even if he came up short for the Beijing games. But in light of yesterday's post about the Tour de Lance, I thought I'd throw Oscar's story into the discussion.

I'm not saying that it'd be easier to sprint with carbon-fiber plates where your tibia and fibula are supposed to be. But if you don't think cyclists should get to take performance-enhancing substances, do you think runners should be allowed to compete with space-age manufactured materials in place of limbs against runners who have to use the tendons, ligaments, bones and muscles with which they were born?

No comments:

Post a Comment