Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Restaurant Review -- Crown and Goose, Knoxville, Tennessee

As I reported earlier, Sherry, Sarah and I had brunch Sunday at the Crown and Goose gastropub in the Old City in Knoxville. As is usually the case with any visit to the Old City, we spent five to ten minutes searching for a convenient parking place on the street to avoid paying to park (around $5.00) on a commercial parking lot. (As my friend Dave used to say in college, "I'm not a tourist. I don't pay to park. I live here.") We found one within a short walk of the Crown and Goose, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to park there after dark.

The atmosphere in the Crown and Goose was cozy, and it indeed reminded me of some of the pubs and restaurants Mom and I visited in England in 1993. We made reservations, and were seated immediately. As an appetizer, we ordered their deviled eggs, which featured crab meat and capers, and they were delicious, if a bit steep at $4.00 for an egg and a half.

Sherry ordered the Blue Lump Crab Eggs Benedict, and I ordered the Croque-Monsieur Ham and Cheese, a sandwich that reminded me very much of the pub fare I experienced in London, which is to say it was nothing to write home about. The Crab Eggs Benedict, served on top of a fried green tomato, however, was excellent, as were the scones they brought out before our meals. Sarah ordered Belgian waffles, which she seemed to enjoy, and all three meals were served with potato hash, known around these parts as home fries, which are fried potatoes (about 1/2 inch squares) fried with onions and bell peppers. Our total bill, including a 20% tip, was just about $60.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment