Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pon Haus -- Pennsylvania Dutch Livermush

I recently received an e-mail from my friend Scott, who lives in Nashville and who lived in the apartment downstairs from me when we were in law school. He said I could share his thoughts after he read my post on livermush:

I read your post about liver mush. I'm thinking it's alot like what we PA Dutch folks call pon haus. (They call is scrapple in Eastern PA.) Mostly corn meal, lots of sage, with a sausage like meat called "ring liver pudding" (and it's not nearly as nasty as it sounds, but it is leftover piggie parts). Dad often made it when we were growing up. We fried it golden brown in bacon grease and ate it with lots of ketchup. It's actually pretty good. I make it once in a blue moon, and more frequently buy it in Publix. I was actually looking for pon haus recipes the other day, and saved the following pages. (The one guy with the CNN blog actually looks a lot like you.) Try a batch, or buy some in the store and fry it up. It's very tasty!

http://teriskitchen.com/padutch/scrapple.html

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/05/10/55-chef-andrew-little/?hpt=C2

No comments:

Post a Comment