Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A moment of silence... with chocolate sprinkles

R.I.P., Irvine Robbins.

One half of the duo that brought us Baskin-Robbins died yesterday at age 90. You can read the obit here, but I think the lesson to be learned is that eating cereal with a scoop of banana ice cream for breakfast is the key to long life.

There's a note in the article about the genesis of the "31 flavors" concept -- one ice cream for every day of the month -- something I finally read or figured out a few years ago. I think that's one of the best ideas ever.

When I was in high school, I used to make regular stops at a Baskin-Robbins near my violin teacher's house on the way home (for dinner) from my weekly lesson. I'd get two scoops of Rocky Road in a cup and somehow eat it while driving home on the expressway. Not sure how I'm still alive.

So, kids, what's your favorite BR31 flavor?

No comments:

Post a Comment