Thursday, December 16, 2010

Boston Tea Party

The Boston Tea Party took place on December 16, 1773. One of the participants in the destruction of the offending tea was George Hewes, who described his involvement,

It was now evening, and I immediately dressed myself in the costume of an Indian, equipped with a small hatchet, which I and my associates denominated the tomahawk, with which, and a club, after having painted my face and hands with coal dust in the shop of a blacksmith, I repaired to Griffin's wharf, where the ships lay that contained the tea. When I first appeared in the street after being thus disguised, I fell in with many who were dressed, equipped and painted as I was, and who fell in with me and marched in order to the place of our destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment