Monday, January 26, 2009

Don't let me down

It would sound like a cliche if I were to write "I can't remember the last new TV show I was actually interested in." But the truth is, I can't remember the last new TV show I was actually interested in.

I guess maybe it was Entourage, but I didn't have HBO when the series started, so by the time I was interested, it wasn't new. And, if you've been following the blog at all (like here, for example), you might get the idea that I really like House, M.D. Which I really really do. But I didn't pick that one up right away either - it wasn't until season two, after my entertainment-savvy and super-gorgeous wife turned me on to it.

That's a pretty amazing failure rate by the people who make TV shows, if you think about it. All of those new programs in the last several seasons - not to mention all of those splashy! edgy! TV ads and bus-stop billboards - and I really couldn't have cared less about any of them.

My point is that I think I'm interested in a new show for the first time in a while. Yes, if tonight's series premiere is any good, I may be seeking a place aboard the Trust Me bandwagon.

It's got your appealing stars, including Tom Cavanagh, who played one of my favorite TV characters of all time and (random fact-that's-probably-interesting-only-to-me alert) who I saw in person in the bowels of Comerica Park* right before the MLB All-Star Home Run Derby in 2005. It's got a promising setting, an ad agency (good) in Chicago (even better). And I don't know how much it matters that the show's producers have a good track record (seems like writers would really be the key), but apparently the show's producers have done The Closer and Nip/Tuck. Neither of which I watch, but I hear they're good.

So if I remember to tune in or set the DVR, I might get you a review later this week. Or view for yourself on TNT, tonight at 10/9 C.

* You're welcome for using the word bowels.

No comments:

Post a Comment