Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dignity on the Playground

I don't know if it still exists, but I remember reading an ethical rule some time ago that declared that an attorney is expected to be dignified, a stretch for me on the best of days. Today I think I ran afoul of that requirement.

This afternoon I went by Sarah's school to pick her up from her summer camp program, but I could not find the children, who it turns out were still at John Sevier Pool. I looked in the school cafeteria, the gym and the Adventure Club room before checking the playground. I did not find them on the playground. When I went back to the door to go back into the school, I found myself locked outside on the elementary school playground in a woolen business suit and dress shoes in the 95 degree heat.

I checked every door to the building and every gate in the fence. I tapped every window I could reach, and I rang the schoolyard bell, all to no avail. Finally, I walked to the far corner of the playground, scaled the tall chain link fence and dropped onto the sidewalk on the other side, fortunately without seriously damaging myself or my lawyering clothes. I pegged the landing, but I think my dignity took some damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment