Friday, July 8, 2011

Book Review -- Young Hickory: The Making of Andrew Jackson





I recently read Young Hickory: The Making of Andrew Jackson by Hendrik Booraem, and I enjoyed the author's description of Jackson's life in North Carolina before Jackson followed his friend John McNairy to Nashville. I was born in Salisbury, North Carolina, where Jackson cut his teeth in the practice of law, and I liked reading about some of Old Hickory's exploits in the town of my birth. One of the tales from Jackson's youth has him responsible for planning a dance and causing a scandal by inviting two women of questionable character. Another involved him and his friends, known as the Inseparables, destroying the interior of a tavern after too much imbibation. I had read about both stories before, but Booraem's account of each story was entertaining nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment